Thursday, April 19, 2007

Chech out my update!

Okay, it is get caught up time. There are three things that we need to get caught up on. The first is what is the P man reading? The second is, “What is the P man listening to?” And the third is “What is the P man going to read and listen to?”

We will start with the first topic. Probably the premier thing that I am reading is “A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs” by David Bercot. You may or may not be familiar with Brother Bercot; he is the author of the renowned “Will the Real Heretic Please Stand Up?” It is a fabulous book that basically points out that most of what is taught as Christianity today was considered heretical by the early church. Anyway, this Dictionary thingy, a 700 page volume, is a true treasure and a must for anybody who wants to be in the clergy, or anybody who is a Christian. One must remember that the words of these brothers, some of whom were disciples of the Apostles, are not scripture. However, that being said, they provide valuable information on the thinking and practices of the early church. I highly recommend it. It is quite revealing in the matter of what the first and second century churches practiced and taught in scripture, compared to the Alexander Campbell restoration various off shoots teach. There are some profound differences. One must muster the courage to explore ones faith, without fear of losing what may be unsound dogma. I’ve learned that it may very well be better to fellowship with a strong loving assembly, who doesn’t have all the buttons buttoned, and still maintain a distinct and profound faith. Unity can come with the simple will to stay peaceful with anybody that is willing to love Christ, worship Christ, and serve Christ. Fellowship will seem “worldly” to many people who have been a part of a dynamic emotionally charged environment, but we must remember, what the scripture says and demands may not be what you think it is. We mustn’t replace truth with emotional highs and lows. Biblical early church Christians were really quite quiet and peaceful with all. They were hard workers, who however, did not pay homage to Caesar. I think today of how many “Christians” think that our current Caesar is somebody to pay homage. Hey, I’m a patriot, but to Jesus, not this country that I am blessed to live in. I pay taxes, I am a contributor in my community, I keep the peace with my neighbors and show my concern for their well being, but yet, my loyalties lay with Christ, first, foremost, and forever!

My previous post spoke of the small tracts and booklets that I have also been reading. I am going over them again in my spare time (huh? I have spare time?). I just started reading two new books: the first is “We Don’t Speak Great Things – We Live Them” by Mark Felix and Justin Martyr. Really they are just collected writings of these two men, put in one volume. The book starts with Mark Felix’s “Octavius”, and then goes to “The First Apology of Justin Martyr”. Although you may be familiar with Justin Martyr, who was one of the most profound and important early Christian scholars, you may not have heard of Felix’s Octavius. Felix was a lawyer, and he writes a fictions situation where Christianity is being defended in court. It is very cool. I look forward to really sinking my teeth into this one.

The second book I am reading right now is “The Secret” by Rhonda Byrne. If you have not heard of this book, then you haven’t been paying attention in the media. First it was a movie, or which I did not see, but now it is in book form. The DVD is at the Wal-Mart that I bought the book at, and will probably go back and buy that. It is a reletivly profound book of which the topic is the “Universal Law of Attraction”. It is extremely interesting, and except for a few points, it doesn’t contradict scripture. There are some philosophical differences, as the origins of the Universe, but we cant’ hold ignorance against people, God will do that in his own time. It is definitely philosophical, but it is also quite reasonable. I think that the law of attraction is a valid concept. I tend to, in a worldly point of view, filter my law of attraction through my relationship with Jesus Christ, but the point is still well taken. Now, before I completely advocate this book and concept, I must first finish the book. The basic concept applied to my life would mean that I attracted seven years of suffering in my life, and can just as easily end it, simply by attracting the right, for a lack of a better word, mojo (mojo translated into our essence = thoughts, feelings, and spirit.). But I think of how my life has gone over the past 20 years, and I can’t help but think that there is some validity to this argument. Now, I do absolutely believe in the sovereignty of God; in that sovereignty God has created this universe as it is, and there are undeniable scientific evidences in existence that can make this “law of attraction” seem very reasonable. Let’s just say, I am interested in exploring this all the more. I suppose I will get back to you I say, if you are a Christian, of whom is secure in your faith and bible knowledge, there is very little harm in reading this book. However, if your faith is new and young, then I recommend that you hold off on reading this book until you bible faith and knowledge is stronger.
“You can’t tell me what to do!”
That is true, but please, I think that you would be greatly confused about this book if you read it now. Here is what I mean. The Law of Attraction basically states that you attract to your life whatever you dwell on emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. If you want, then all you have to do is focus on it in a positive way with all your mojo, and you’ll get it. If this is true, and you are filled with spiritual immaturity, and still crave the life of the world, then you will get it. Being a Christian, I want to attract Godliness in my life, and I believe that according to this law, and scripture, that it is exactly what will happen. I want to attract love, peace, kindness, generosity, charity, and stability. I want to be a giver, and a grateful person, who contributes to my family, church, academic environment, and my neighborhood. But, if you still desire the “world” (meaning greed, immorality, material exesses, and idolatry) then you will attract them, and your relationship with God will suffer. You will become increasingly dissatisfied, and eventually give up on your quest to please God. The bible states that if you delight in the Lord, then he will grant the disires of your heart. This IS the law of attraction restated. Jesus says whatever you ask in my name, you will receive. Again, restated. But if you ask for evil, Satan, who disguises himself as an angel of light, will be glad to grant your wish. Again, the law of attraction restated. I may see it in a different light than some of these philosophy professors and teachers in the book, but the concept is sound. So…I look forward to also finishing this book as well. I am of course also reading essays in my writing class, of which I must write about. And I am also reading a great deal of Art History. We are now in the High Italian Renaissance.

Now, what am I listening to? I have been listening to sermons and teaching of David Bercot. I am fascinated by his search for Christianity, and how it is dynamically different than mine, but we have come to almost all the same conclusions. His back ground is Anabaptist, and he currently is a Mennonite. He refers to his faith as Primitive Christianity. I like this term, and have attracted myself to it. I now refer to my faith as Primitive Christianity. I may not live as a Mennonite as he does, meaning I like the use of my computer and like to watch television and such, but abandoning 1800 years of sin and satanic manipulation of the Church, while still keeping track of the observance of an Apostolic lineage, is attractive to me. I know that sounds confusing, but if you want to know what I mean, just email me. I would basically send you the CD’s that I have listened to. Again, these CD’s can be found at
scroll publishing. I have also been listening to Miles Davis. I am going to be direct. In all my years in training as a musician, actor, illustrator, painter, writer, poet, sculptor, and worship singing, I have never known artistic freedom until I listened to Miles Davis. I feel artistically freed by listening to his CD “Milestones”. I also recently have been listening to Joe Satriani’s “Surfing with the Alien”. I had this CD years ago, but purchased it recently. Wow did I forget how seriously good this dude is on the guitar. He is amazing. I also just finished watching and listening to the 1987, four hour long musical, called Upside Down. It was a musical produced by some very talented people in the ICOC in 1987, in Chicago, and let me tell you, this musical will make you laugh, cry, and both at the same time sometimes. It is dramatic, comedic, artistic, creative, and delightful. The whole musical is based on the Bible book of Acts, plus some liberties taken by some early Christian writings concerning what happened to Peter and Paul in their martyrdom. The next to the last scene, if you have a heart at all, will make you weep in joy and inspiration. Not once, in the ten plus times I have seen this musical, have I not wept. Carla recently purchased our copy on DVD at www.dpibooks.org. If you don’t have an ICOC background, then I recommend the 1994 edition. It is just done in much better quality. It is condensed, but if you don’t know the difference, then the new one is preferred. It is just that the original 1987 version is what Carla and I grew up with, and we like it better. Now we get to share this with our child, and it is just lovely.

What am I going to read and listen to? Well, as soon as I am done with the two books that I am reading currently, I want to start reading a recent acquisition called “The Russians Secret.” It is a book about the underground Christian movement of second century style Christianity while the Russian Orthodox Church prevailed publicly. I am greatly interested in how they practiced Christianity all those thousand years while the Orthodox Church reigned. According to the copy on the back of the book, their thinking is different than the American and Anglican Churches during this same time. They make it clear that it includes much martyrdom and suffering. Hey, it Christianity baby, what’d you expect?

As to what I am going to listen to? I don’t have a clue. I’ll probably get back to my Vivaldi, Mozart, and Brahms. These three composers tend to stimulate my mind the most. Oh, I have also been listening to Count Basie and Rosemary Clooney. Wow does she have the pipes. Her jazz is just amazing. Truly, she is one of the greats. If you have a recommendation, I’m up to hearing it. I’d like to hear something new, but not any, at all, hip hop, bee bop, or metal. Maybe I’d be interested in some blues, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, or even some new pop that I’m not familiar with?

Well, that sums it up for now. I’ll check back in a couple of days with a new update. Till then…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home